LEARN ABOUT DEAF CULTURE
We have some statistics and facts for you to consider about “the Silent World” – follow the link to that information here!
HOW TO FIND ASL CLASSES IN YOUR AREA
If you are looking for an opportunity to learn ASL, there are resources out there and many classes offered! Sometimes, however, it’s not as simple as looking up “ASL” in the phone book. Here are a few tips for how to seek out effective instruction in your local area:
- Contact your State Government office. A representative should have available a list Deaf/Hard of Hearing agencies.
- Research local Community Colleges. Many offer ASL courses at reasonable rates!
- Contact local Deaf Institution. There are regional Deaf schools in each state across the country. Some quick research online should help you to find the closest to you geographically and give you their contact information.
PUBLISHERS & TECHNOLOGY
There is a great deal of technology available to accomodate the Deaf culture. For instance: have you ever thought about how ineffective a standard alarm clock would be for someone who can’t hear? There are several manufacturers who specialize in technology for hard-of-hearing and Deaf individuals, and you might be surprised at how innovative some of their products are!
Also, there are some outstanding print resources to learn more about the Deaf culture, language (ASL), and technology.
Follow the link here to learn more about these providers!
RECOMMENDED BOOKS AND MEDIA
There are some great resources out there that Silent Blessings has not produced, but that are very informative and support the work being done by this ministry, creating awareness about Deaf Culture.
You might have seen the statistic that 90% of Deaf children are born into hearing families. While this number is staggering, it also means that, if your family is a part of this statistic, you are not alone! Silent Blessings mission serves not only to provide entertainment for children, but also to help families and churches bridge the communication divide when it comes to talking about faith.
Click here to see our recommended list!
To see a list of other ministries involved in reaching Deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals click here.
For a list of organizations, manufacturers, and providers who cater to Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals, click here.
VISIT OUR STORE
Follow the link here to…
- See all the products and materials Silent Blessings has to offer!
- Find a great gift for someone you love!
- Help us promote this ministry by purchasing and wearing Dr. Wonder gear!
GET INVOLVED WITH OUR MINISTRY
It takes many people to keep a ministry like Silent Blessings going — and most of them are volunteers! Let us know if you might be interested in helping us in some way by completing this form.